Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mm.... Syrup....


Tonight, this bottle is not my friend. It was one of the dumbest things I've ever done.

If you've never worked with middle schoolers, you may not realize what earns their respect. Being smart or a good speaker doesn't do it. You have to make a fool of yourself. You have to swallow your pride, stop acting like an adult, and prove you're willing to do any of the ridiculous, stupid, absurd things they want to do.

So tonight, after months of making up stupid gross games for our middle schoolers to play - they made up one for us.

I chugged a bottle of maple syrup.

Ok, I only got in about 2/3rds of a bottle before Billy (one of the other leaders) finished his.
But that means in less than a minute I drank 8 servings of syurp - nearly 2000 calories.

And after taking cheers from the crowd of middle schoolers and earning their respect... I proceeded to throw up 4 times in the next 2 hours.

I love Jesus, and I love middle schoolers =)

2 comments:

Leah said...

This is such a great story . . . from one who worked with middle schoolers for 3 years, I understand. :-) Well done. I'm also fascinated to learn more about that "Body, Body" game. I asked your brother more about it this weekend, but he didn't really know how it worked. :-( Hope you're doing great!

S-I-T-F :-)

Jess said...

at least you got good syrup