Monday, May 12, 2008

Words




Words are my passion. The power of truth when it is spoken or written or sung is astounding to me. It is not about how many words can be said, but how well they are stated. My heart is always captured by passion overflowing into prose or poetry. Recently I have read books that have educated me, inspired me, and driven me to go into the world and share.

"Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis
- This man was a genius. Here's how you know. This book contains incredibly difficult concepts that have been debated for centuries. Concepts that have caused men to be saved, men to sin, churches to grow, and churches to divide. But he speaks about these concepts with simple illustrations in common language. It is a book that can open doors to conversations about difficult subjects by taking down the walls about what is acceptable to talk about at church. A smart guy knows a lot. A genius can teach the rest of us what he knows.

"Captivating" by John & Staci Elderage
- I loved this book because it was so raw and truthful. Yes, it talks about pain and spiritual warfare, but it also talks about love and beauty. All these concepts that my heart has known, they find a way to express in this book. It is affirming to know I am not alone in my struggles and my pain is justified. It was both a torment and a pleasure to read. It opened places I don't like talking about, but it reminded me of the incredible truth that God loves me in spite of my flaws.

"When Answers Aren't Enough" by Matt Rogers
- This was written by my pastor from NLCF in Blacksburg, VA. This was another book that stirred me because it is so raw. I told Matt that the courage it must have taken to write that book is more than I can imagine. It is a walk through grief and healing. This book is about the last year since the VA Tech shootings. He isn't afraid of talking about good vs. evil and feeling anger toward the evil that has occurred. But after showing the audience the pain that comes after something tragic, he walks towards hope. By the end of the book I was crying. Not with grief, but with overwhelming appreciation for the grace my Father has shown me.

To all those with something they've learned from God: please keep writing and telling what you know. I got incredibly frustrated with a TV evangelist who preached Fire and Brimstone with no grace or mercy. What if this is the only side of Christianity the world sees?

But I reminded myself, if I wish to show the world the Loving God I know, I must talk about Him. Sing about Him. Write about him.

How will the world know if they have never heard?

1 comment:

hokiegal23 said...

words have much power indeed. and in our enlightened society, we depend on them a lot. i agree with everything you've said, but i just have one thing to add. while words have some power, actions have far more. think about the great women you referred to in your previous post -- mother theresa, ruth graham. these women were great in their faith because of their action, not their words.

this realization is coming from a woman who makes her living with words. studying communications and working in the field, to now being a counselor, words are involved frequently in what i do. and as a teacher of God's truth, i know words are crucial when i stand up on a sunday morning to deliver a message. but God is reminding me that although i love words and they are important, actions are more so.

as st. francis of assisi knew best, "preach the gospel daily. use words only when necessary."

i enjoy your posts a. keep blogging :)