Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Thirsty?


So driving home from Nitelife tonight, I realized I was INCREDIBLY thirsty. Not like, oh I'll grab a glass of water when I get home, but like, I must find the nearest gas station and satisfy this thirst! Never have the lights of 7-11 shined so beautifully.

Normally I don't get that thirsty. I guess I had been running around for the last two hours and didn't slow down enough to realize how thirsty I was. It wasn't until I was sitting quietly in my car that my mind realized how much my body needed water.

All too often that is an analogy for my relationship with God.

Sunday night 10 of us packed in two cars to go film some video footage at a camp. Long story short - what should have been a 3 hour trip became a 5 1/2 hour trip. I was miserable. Two of the things I hate most in life are 1) getting lost and 2) being late. We were both.

So when we pulled into camp at 11:37pm, all I wanted to do was to go to bed. However, everybody else got all excited about making a campfire by the river, so I caved to the peer pressure and went along.

The firepit was set on the edge of a large clearing. The moment I stepped out of the car I was overwhelmed by how many stars filled the sky. At home, I forget how vast the sky is. The light pollution in the city prevents all but the brightest stars from being visible. In that clearing, no light competed with those stars - there were thousands.

Once the mini campfire was going, Dusty got out his guitar and started to sing praises. The sounds of worship filled the air. Then this sing came up:


So much wonder
Carved in your coral seas
So much wonder
Shaded by ancient trees
I consider all that your hands have made
Every newborn’s eyes, every new sunrise
No power can tame your presence
No light can match your radiance

LET ALL CREATION SING IN WONDER
EVERY SEA, EVERY CREATURE, EVERY STAR
YOU OPENED UP MY EYES TO WONDER
WHAT A VISION, WHAT A WONDER YOU ARE

Such a wonder
Ordering time and tide
Such a wonder
Bridging the great divide
I consider all that you had, all you gave
And all that you endured
From this rebel world
What a wondrous cross you chose to bear
What a wonder you would even care


LET ALL CREATION SING IN WONDER
EVERY SEA, EVERY CREATURE, EVERY STAR
YOU OPENED UP MY EYES TO WONDER
WHAT A VISION, WHAT A WONDER YOU ARE

LET EVERY ROCK CRY OUT
LET EVERY KNEE BOW DOWN
YOU OPENED UP MY HEART TO WONDER
WHAT LOVE, WHAT A WONDER YOU ARE

No power can tame your presence
No light can match your radiance
Such a wonder...
Such a wonder...
~Newsboys "In Wonder"

"You opened up my eyes to wonder; what a vision, what a wonder you are." I hadn't realized how much I had been missing the raw, open worship of God. I hadn't realized how much I needed Him to fill me up, because I hadn't stopped to notice I was thirsty. All of my frustrations about the trip melted when I placed them in context with this incredible God we serve. God was waiting in that field to show me the vastness of this universe He created. He was waiting to quench my parched soul.


LET EVERY ROCK CRY OUT
LET EVERY KNEE BOW DOWN


No comments: