Friday, June 20, 2008

Moving On Up!

Tonight is the last night in my apartment. For the last year I have lived on my own. My own little apartment with all of my stuff exactly as I have wanted it. If I felt like leaving dirty dishes in the sink for a week, I could do it. If I felt like dragging my mattress into the living room to watch a movie, I could do it. It was my own sink, my own refrigerator, my own walk-in closet (which, I may have become spoiled by, and I don't know I could live without anymore), and my own little balcony. It's like I've been playing house or something. It has been really nice.

But it's time to move on. God has been challenging me on being too comfortable. I need to live with people, because then I will stop thinking so much about myself. I think roommates in a house are like pebbles in one of those rotating rock polisher things. We all get thrown into this enclosed space, get all shaken up, and bang against each other. Still, in the end we come out shinier and more refined than when we went in. All of our most jagged edges become much more obvious when they're constantly poking into someone else, and their edges are just as obvious when they sting me in return. I expect nothing different from living with these 3 women.

This move has been a test of faith, because I'm moving out with no guaranteed place for us to move into. We have run into road block after road block trying to rent a house, but we are confident that God will provide. We hope that whatever house God provides, people always feel comfortable coming over. This could be a great place for ministry and relationship-building and outreach. God, please provide such a place.

So tomorrow starts a new adventure. I'm a nomad for a while, but hopefully not long. And then I will be part of a make-shift family again. 4 women in one house (where ever that house might be), living together, growing together, and hopefully resovling conflict together somewhere shy of killing each other.

Sun, I dare you to rise. I am prepared to meet the challenge your new day brings!

No comments: